Monday, April 28, 2014

The Gaya Applecross

After looking at the droolworthy Red Misu photos at The Gaya Applecross, I know I just have to pay a visit to this restaurant. Usually, I am rather hesitant to go to a fusion restaurant but looking at the menu online, there are some interesting combinations that I could not find elsewhere in Perth.

Arriving at the restaurant on a Sunday evening, we were surprised to find out that the restaurant was rather empty. Initially, we thought that not making a booking was a bad idea and that we might have to spend some time waiting for a table, but I guess the rainy weather might explain why. 

The restaurant has kind of a modern feel to it. We saw a poster on the door saying that they are currently offering a 10% off. At the moment, they also offered an entree + a main + desserts (Green Tea Ice Cream/Red Misu) for $45. Taking into account the 10% deal, a complete 3 course meal would only cost us $41 which is a really good deal. While looking at the menu and trying to decide on what to order, we were offered complementary appetizers, which were rice cakes and baked cheese (I could not remember the exact name but it tasted like cheese to me).

The Gaya claimed not to use any MSG on the dishes, and some dishes on the menu sound very healthy, such as Seafood Stew (prawn, scallop, squid, fish, capsicum, zucchini, sticky rice. I decided to order Beef Cream Roll (beef, asparagus, inoki, capsicum, cucumber, cream cheese) for my starter, Salmon and Vegetables with coconut rice for my main and of course Red Misu for my desserts.
Beef Cream Roll ($14) is a very unique dish in a Korean restaurant. I found that the roll was perfectly sized, the beef was tender and it goes really well with the creaminess from the cream cheese. The portion was pretty generous too.
Salmon and Vegetables with Coconut Rice ($30) was the highlight of the meal for me. The salmon was simply delish; the fillet was particularly moist and flavourful, the skin was crispy and it literally melts in my mouth. The vegetables was nicely seasoned and the coconut rice was simply a hit. 
Coming to the dish that I have been raving about is Red Misu ($8). Intrigued with what this dish is all about, I was told that this is a Tiramisu alike with red beans. It was topped up with crushed biscuits and stone-like chocolates.  I think this dish would be perfect if the amount of red beans is balanced with that of crushed biscuits and the cream. The biscuits is not overly sweet and I enjoyed every mouthful of it.

The Gaya has encouraged me to experiment with more variety of food and I am now more open to try other fusion restaurants. $41 for a three course meal is absolutely an awesome deal and I would definitely come back to try the famous 36-hour sous vide cooked pork belly.

The Gaya Applecross 

Applecross Arcade
Shop 3 and 4, 3 Kearns Crescent Ardroww, WA 6153

08 9364 8887

www.the-gaya.com

The Gaya Applecross on Urbanspoon



No comments:

Post a Comment